Sunday, 19 July 2009

Goma

Am at hotel restaurant in Goma. Is wonderful:) It's not as humid here as in Kinshasa, and the sun is shining. And the hotel is a wee bit cheaper. Arrived at around 14.00 yesterday, after a not so nice morning. Had to take the dispatch (UN-taxi) at 0430 to go to HQ to take a bus the airport. I hadn't slept much and it was a very bumpy ride so didn't feel too well... Bläää. The plane-ride to Kisangani was better in a decent sized UN-plane. From Kisangani to Goma, however, it was a small russian propeller plane, from the 70s judging from the interior (reminded me of an old caravan, with brown striped wall cloth). Luckily the strong vibrations and humming rocked me to sleep, so I was okey when I arrived.

In Goma I met the Swedish and Norwegian civilian observers that are stationed here. It's really beautiful with the vulcano towering over the city, and the lake to the other side. Am going to swim this afternoon:)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, retro plane! Pictures? :-)
    Enjoy the swim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej,

    The road to Bukavu is quite the adventure already! Great pictures so far.

    Kus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, so nice to be able to follow your travels and get an idea of Congo and your work. I like your descriptions and hope you will sleep well. Mariette

    ReplyDelete