Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Finally on mission

So finally the gods were good to me and let me go on mission. Was away three days, with about 5 hrs driving each day on roads which could have been called excellent if it wasn't for the short sections of mud and scary-looking bridges. Good chance to practice my 4x4-driving skills though. We went together with the UN-agency responsible for building the police housing as well as fixing the roads, so we stopped every now and then to inspect the road-works (and the scary-looking bridges, mostly after we'd already past them though).

Totally fell in love with the country, is so beautiful! First day we drove through Kahuzi-Biega, a national park where there's gorillas. Unfortunatly it's full of guerillas too, so don't think I'll venture deeper into the djungle there. Was great to drive through - and am sure I saw a monkey in a tree (sorry, internal Erlandsson-joke).

Spent the two nights in Bunyakiri - a quite big town located up and down the hills. We stayed in the parish - one of the few brick houses in the town. It was great - really simple but very nice. 20 dollars all in - a bargain!

Am hoping for another mission next week. By air though, so will see if my luck holds...



Soldiers drying laundry in Bunyakiri


Temporary police office. I think it's a great idea to build in canvas. Especially the detention cells...

The church in Bunyakiri


My favourite bridge (not). Didn't think about it the first time I crossed, but going back it was a bit scary. It's temporary though, so, inshallah, there will be something more sturdy in the future...


The boys didn't let me drive through this 'bridge', and am glad I didn't push for it. The pakis driving after me (our escort) got stuck...

1 comment: